The D.A.R. (Daughters of the American Revolution) is due the credit of establishing the Mount Sterling Public Library. On November 10, 1910, the first meeting was held to organize a library. Herman Carter was elected president and Nora Fisher was named the first librarian and was to receive $3.50 a week. In April of 1911, Andrew Carnegie presented a $10,000 grant to the village for construction of a library. Construction started in September of 1911 with R.C. Carney of Washington Court House, Ohio being the primary contractor with a bid of $7,265.02. It first opened its doors on May 3, 1913 with Mary Davis as Head Librarian. The library had 3,570 square feet. On March 4, 1935, a music alcove was dedicated in the memory of Herbertha Taylor Paisley. Other Head Librarians were Anne Galbreath (1942), Myrtle Young (1947), Medrith Galbreath (1969), Jean Pollock (1976), and Doris Wilson (1984). Doris Wilson was the seventh librarian and the first with the title of Director of the Mount Sterling Public Library, with Heidi Fletcher following and currently Christopher Siscoe. On May 19, 1993, ground was broken for the new addition with the Farrell Construction Company as general contractor. In July of 1994, the new addition was completed bringing the total square feet to 8,360, including a 1,500 square foot conference room. Dedication of the new addition took place November 20, 1994. The library now has over 40,000 circulating pieces including books, music CDs, videos, DVDs, books on CD, CD-Roms, and magazines. Though the building has retained it original look and charm as a historic Carnegie building, it is fully networked and houses six patron computers on the main level, with WiFi internet access throughout the building. The library also continues to house the Mt. Sterling Community Museum.