Back

Yankeetown Biographical Sketches

Yankeetown photo.jpg (95516 bytes)

CLARRIDGE, EDMUND W.

He was the son of William and Rosana Mace Clarridge. He was born In Maryland October 2, 1789 and in 1798 moved with his father to Ross County, Ohio. His mother died before he left Maryland. His father married Mrs. Mollie Cox, widow.

Edmund at the age of 22, married Eleanor, daughter of John and Eleanor McCafferty of Kentucky. She was born in 1796. In 1814, Edmund enlisted and served through the War of 1812 under Major Dunlap. Shortly before he enlisted in the service of his country he had removed his family to Madison Township to which he returned after the close of the war and spent the remainder of his life.

He served several terms as justice of the peace and was elected to the office of township treasurer and clerk and the duties devolving on him in his several official capacities were faithfully discharged. At his death, September 14, 1868, he owned 160 acres of highly cultivated land. His wife died November 10, 1860.

Edmund and Eleanor Clarridge were the parents of sixteen children, nine boys and seven girls whose names were as follows: Elizabeth born May 10, 1813 - William born October 7, 1815 - Mace born April 13, 1817 - John born March 4, 1819 - Ann born December 14, 1820 - Thomas born December 8, 1822 - James born December 2, 1824 - Eleanor born April 9, 1826 - Edmund W. born October 4, 1827 - Rosana born October 20, 1829 - Joseph Hays born June 19, 1831 - Clarinda born November 29, 1832 - David born April 25, 1834 - Christiann born January 5, 1836 and died August 2, 1836 - Sarah Jane born August 28, 1838 and died January 17, 1853 - Anthony born December 27, 1840 and died July 2, 1867. Their mother Eleanor died August 22, 1853.

(Buried in the Yankeetown Cemetery: daughter Ann B. Clarridge, son William Clarridge, wife Eleanor McCafferty Clarridge and Edmund W. Clarridge himself and son John Clarridge and daughter Eleanor Clarridge.)

CLARRIDGE, EDMUND W.

This is the son of the above mentioned Edmund W. Clarridge. He was born in Madison Township, this county, October 4, 1827. His education was somewhat above the ordinary. He availed himself of the advantages of the common schools of his neighborhood and spent one year at Northwood College in Logan County. He taught school for several years in the counties of Fayette, Ross, Madison and Pickaway and in this calling was unusually successful. He was married October 4, 1859 to Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Leavell, nee Timmons, of this county. She was the widow of John B. Leavell by whom she bore one son, Benjamin born September 27, 1854. Mrs. Clarridge was born April 11, 1835. To Mr. and Mrs. Clarridge have been born two daughters and one son: Inez G. born January 11, 1861 and married Benjamin W. Leavell. Alta Errilla born February 3, 1864. Howard Amasa born September 6, 1873.

In the year 1860 Mr. Clarridge and his wife located on the farm on which they now reside and have ever since given their time and efforts to honest industry. The farm comprises 140 acres and is situated on both sides of the Deer Creek pike. Mr. Clarridge is a man of good judgment and public spirit having, ever since he became a man, stood in the front ranks of enterprise. He is a leading member of the Republican part in the county and though residing in a township largely Democratic, he has for many successive years held the office of township trustee and during previous years was township clerk.

He and his wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Clarridge is superintendent of Sabbath-school at Waterloo.

(Buried in Yankeetown Cemetery: Edmund W. Clarridge himself and his previously named relatives.)

NOTABLES OF YANKEETOWN, OHIO
COMPILED BY MARY LOU STIVERSON


From History of Fayette County, Ohio-R.S. Dills-1881
ELIZABETH ANDREWS GREGORY, was born in New York in 1757 and died in Yankeetown, Fayette County, OH in 1857, aged 99 years. In her later years she lived with her son Andrew Gregory on the farm at Yankeetown.
JAMES JONES, SR., wed Sarah White and later bought property near Yankeetown. He lived there until his death in 1871. He left 1300 acres between Waterloo and Yankeetown to his sons.
JOHN LEAVELL. The Leavell Cemetery is on Post Rd. near Rt. 207. Perhaps more will eventually be found about the Leavell family.
ADONIRAM BOSTWICK, early settler of Yankeetown.
MADISON LOOFBOURROW, son of Laban, farmed. Wed Elizabeth Ellen Alkire.
LABAN H. LOOFBOURROW, born in Washington C.H., OH, married Elizabeth Alkire. He was a successful farmer and land owner. He was a large stockholder in the Farmers' Bank of Mt. Sterling.
LEMUEL PANCOAST LOOFBOURROW, son of Nathan & Hannah Pancoast Loofbourrow, wed Elizabeth Graham. Children: Annetta, Loretta, Malvina, John Graham, Nathan, Alvan Eugene, Sophronia, Solon, Helen M., Lemuel Harrison. The Loofbourrow name has significant recognition in the settling of the entire area.
ACTIVITIES OF YANKEETOWN
In 1817, what is now know as the Pleasant Hill, or Yankeetown, Methodist Episcopal Society was organized at John Thomas's residence, about 2 miles east of Yankeetown on the Circleville and Yankeetown road. Charter members: Wm. Timmons, John Thomas, Wm. Morgan, Leonard Jefferson and Samuel Bennett. About 6 yrs. later the society built a hewed log church one mile east of Yankeetown on the Circleville road. (207).
A school was held in a house built 1/4th mile west of Yankeetown.
Dr. Martin was probably the first doctor. He opened an office near Yankeetown. He stayed about 5 years. Joseph Withrow started a blacksmith shop about mile from Yankeetown in 1822 or 23. Otho Williams carried on this business and was succeeded by Zebulin Fisher. The shop was later abandoned. Mr. David Saint started a shop at Yankeetown in 1874 or 75
The first store in Madison Twp. was started by Adley Gregory in 1815 or before at Yankeetown. He ran it until another opened in 1825 about mile north of Yankeetown on the Mt. Sterling road by John Johnson. Robert Leach opened a stock of goods in a frame building erected by himself near Yankeetown. He sold out to Abner Dressback who moved it to a room built by Adley Gregory. The store then went to Amos Benton who removed to a brick building. Also in the goods business: Joseph Counts, Cook & Bailey, Gregory & Phelps, Drury Brothers, Clarence Parvin, Gregory & Wichman and George Emerson.

For more information on Yankeetown burials, go to our Genealogy site.

Genealogical Data collected and assimilated in part by Mary Lou Stiverson.